Garfield & Hecht, P.C
Paul’s practice focuses on public finance, real estate development and land use entitlement work in connection with state and municipal regulatory matters. He also provides strategic advice on complex legal issues affecting municipal governance and legislation.
Paul advises governmental entities such as municipalities, counties, school districts, special districts, urban renewal authorities and non-profit corporations in structuring and implementing traditional and conduit public financings. Paul works with issuers, underwriters and lenders in both public sales and negotiated private placements of tax-exempt and taxable obligations. Paul also assists issuers in the areas of election law, TABOR, federal securities and tax law in connection with public finance transactions.
Paul’s real estate practice includes representation of buyers and sellers in all phases of real estate purchase, sales, development, and redevelopment, whether commercial, residential or mixed-use in nature. His practice also includes preparation and negotiation of retail and restaurant leases as well as ground leases with national and international brand-name landlords and tenants.
With respect in local government representation, Paul advises clients on land use issues including planned unit developments, annexations, real estate matters and various economic development and incentive agreements.
- University of Colorado School of Law (2005, University of Colorado Law Review)
- Lehigh University (2002)
Bar Associations and Professional Societies:
- Colorado Bar Association
- Board Member, New American School Colorado
- Board Member, Colorado BlueFlower Fund
- Former Chairman, Board of Directors, Rocky Mountain Multiple Sclerosis Center
- Former Board Member, New Era Colorado
- Former Board Member, Multiple Sclerosis Young Professionals Network
Published Articles/Speaking Engagements:
- Co-author, “Tax-Exempt Financing of Sectarian Instiutions Following the Supreme Court’s Decision in Trinity Luterna Church of Columbia v. Comer” 38 Municipal Finance Journal 4 (Winter 2018)
- Co-author, “Public Moneys and Ballot Issues Under the Fair Campaign Practices Act” 34 Colorado Lawyer 81 (September 2005)
- Special District Association, “Two C’s CORA and Campaigns” (September 2018)
- Colorado Government Finance Officers Association, “Dodd-Frank and the Role of a Municipal Advisor” (November 2017)
- Government Finance Officers Association, “Fundamentals of Debt Issuance” (May 2017)
- NABL Fundamentals of Municipal Bonds Law Seminar, “Bank Direct Purchases” (April 2017)
- NABL Fundamentals of Municipal Bonds Law Seminar, “Conflicts of Interests” (April 2017)
- Colorado Government Finance Officers Association, “Role of a Municipal Advisor” (November 2016)
- Water Finance Conference, “Private Capital and Public Projects” (August 2016)