Garfield & Hecht, P.C
Dave has been an active trial lawyer since graduating from law school in 1984. Prior to joining Garfield & Hecht, P.C. in 1994, Dave was a trial attorney at the Denver office of Ballard Spahr, LLP, a Philadelphia-based national law firm with over 400 attorneys.
Dave has appeared before federal and state courts throughout Colorado and other states on behalf of individuals and large and small businesses, including financial institutions and banks. He has acted as the trial attorney in cases involving lender liability claims, contested foreclosures, breach of contract claims, breach of fiduciary duty claims, shareholder and derivative claims, partnership and limited liability company dissolutions, construction defect and delay claims, adverse possession and boundary line disputes, quiet title actions, product liability claims, and personal injury and wrongful death claims. He has also represented individual homeowners and real estate developers in high profile land use cases with the City of Aspen and Pitkin County. For the past 15 years, he has been one of the two primary trial attorneys for a Fortune 500 company defending the manufacturer of a component part used in radiant heating systems in numerous jury trials in state and federal courts throughout Colorado, including the recent successful defense of the Fortune 500 company in a statewide class action case in the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado. Dave also has extensive appellate experience, and has appeared before the Colorado Court of Appeals, the Colorado Supreme Court, and the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- University of Pittsburgh (B.A. magna cum laude, 1980)
- University of Colorado School of Law (J.D. 1984) (University of Colorado Law Review; Order of Coif, 1984 Wolf Scholar)
- State of Colorado
- State of Colorado Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
Bar Associations & Professional Societies
- Pitkin County Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Member, Sections on: Litigation Services)
- “Colorado Super Lawyer” voted by his peers (2007 – 2008, 2010 – 2016)